Thursday 27 January 2011

Over trained?

I'm tired, achy and just a bit blah! I've trained hard for the last 3 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I love training, and training hard, but sometimes you just have to take it easy. Well, easy-ish!
If you insist on pushing hard all the time, you eventually (probably sooner rather than later) will become over-trained.

Over-training is basically where the training volume and intensity exceeds the bodys ability to recover. Don't get me wrong now, intensity and volume are vital to getting results, you won't get all big and strong without a little concept called progressive overload. The body will adapt to the stresses placed upon it (up or downgrading as necessary to deal with what it needs to deal with on a regular basis). However this doesn't mean you must go hard all the time. Try it, but I warn you, it sucked ass. Seriously sucked butt.

Some of the symptoms include:
- Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
- Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains
- Pain in muscles and joints
- Sudden drop in performance
- Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
- Decrease in training capacity / intensity
- Increased incidence of injuries.
 The list goes on but you get the point.

There are easy ways to check that you don't over-train. Keep a training log, record how your training is developing. If you notice a drop off in performance or note that you are struggling with your workouts, time to step back for a week or so. Trust me, you will reap the rewards for taking time out to recover and come back stronger.
This week I've been taking a deload week in my training. That is, continuing the workouts I'd been doing, deadlifts, squats, lunges, bench press, rows etc, but reducing the volume and intensity by about half. This allows me to recover and work on technique, rehab any niggles and continue improving my mobility.

Next week I am starting Eric Cresseys' Maximum Strength program. I'll keep you all updated over the course of the 12 week program. I'll start with my stats at the beginning, 1RMs on the lifts used in the program and take it from there.

On another note, I've completed the theory section of my level 3 Trainer course and scored 80% on my practice theory exam. Good but not as good as I want it to be so study, study study for me! On to the coaching theory section of the course now. Progress is going well, I feel on track with the goals I'd set myself at the start of the year. I'd love to hear how anyone else is getting on with theirs (if anyone reads this that is!)

Anyhow, as usual I'm on Twitter - @b_fast, and on facebook - dave ballantine.

No comments:

Post a Comment