Wednesday 19 January 2011

Workout resolution

I thought it was about high time I put up some workout stuff. Let me start by saying I used to be the clueless guy doing 6 different pec exercises, about a hundred crunches of various variations, squats with partial reps and some rows cause,you know, it was probably a good idea but I didn't know why!

Fast forward about 14 months and I'm not quite so clueless. A combination of my study, which is all well and good but is really just making sure you know the basics, extra reading (books, blogs, articles etc) and other resources like the Fitcast and Strength Coach Podcast which opened my eyes to some of the best trainers and coaches out there, Mike Boyle, Eric Cressey, Mike Robertson, Todd Durkin, Alwyn Cosgrove, Bret Contreras. Honestly, this list could go on and on but you get the point! These guys blew my mind with their take on things. Steady state cardio? Static stretching? Why? This is the 21st century people, we have moved on!

I had to re-think (or maybe I should say just think about) my workouts. Hi to deadlifts, squats, bench press, a 3:2 ratio of pulling to pushing, pull ups, chin ups and dips. Good bye to incline, flat and decline bench (you know, to hit all the angles.) Hi to the core revolution, Pallofs, ab rollouts, cable chops, swiss ball jack knives. No more crunches for Dave, no sir.
So, I've already put up my workout target of 150 workouts in 2011, thats 3 per week, and so far so good. I feel stronger, feel my posture has improved and my mobility is better.
I'm also going to put up my current lifts as a baseline to track my progress through the year.
Don't judge me.
Seriously, I'm new to this kind of lifting, Deadlifts might just become one of my favourite-est things ever! Only problem is I'm weaker than lite beer. Everyone has to start somewhere right? Right?
Anyway, here they are....
Deadlift  1RM of 128kg (280lbs).  Deadlift target = 180kgs(400lbs)
Bench 1RM of  99kg (217lbs).     Bench target = 120kgs(264lbs)
Squat 1RM of  135kg (297lbs).     Squat target = 160kgs (350lbs)   
Pull ups 6 reps of BW+18kg  (113kgs) giving a 3RM of 118kgs (260lbs).  Target=12reps @BW +20kgs
Dips 8 reps of BW + 22kg (118kg) giving a 3RM of 131kgs (288lbs). Target=12reps @BW + 26kgs
Natural Glute ham raise 6@BW (eccentric only). Target = 10 full reps.

I figure that these exercises are pretty good indicators of strength and every month or so I'll update this blog with my progress. Hopefully I'll be able to achieve and maybe exceed my targets, I'm feeling great so far, and feel I can get a lot stronger!


As always, I would love to hear from anyone, with targets/ goals for the year and how you are getting on with them.
You can contact me on facebook, dave ballantine. Or on Twitter @B_FAST

No comments:

Post a Comment