Saturday 8 January 2011

How do you do yours?

Warmups that is. Everybody has their own idea about a warmup. It should be a period to prepare the body for the upcoming fun and games you are about to perform. Now, when you go into your typical gym what you will probably see is going to be along the lines of,  guy wanders in and over to the treadmill/ stepper/ bike and does about 2mins at such a low intensity that your typical 90 year old could do it. Then off and over to the stretching area to do a couple of bouncy bouncy stretches - touch the toes, quad stretch, swing your arms around like you know what the hell is going on. Checks his phone, re-ties his shoes, checks the hot girls on the cardio machines. Then off to work through the bench routine - you know, bench, DB press (incline, flat and decline, just to make sure he hits all the angles!) Then some flyes. Probably the pec dec to make sure. Then some crunches. No legs cause thats hard work.

The workout is bad enough (but thats another story!)

What I'm more thinking of is the warmup. Now I will admit that in my not so glorious past training started with a run, a whole bunch of static stretches. No checking out the hot girls because:
1. There weren't any hot girls at the crappy gym I was using, (again another story), and,
2. I wouldn't do that, honest honey - I only have eyes for you!

Now, I like to think I'm a reasonably smart guy, so when I started studying and the course notes basically give you a more thorough version of the guy in the 1st paragraph efforts. So I'm thinking that I'm doing good, but i'm also doing a lot of extra-curricular reading. Nick Tumminello, Eric Cressey, Mike Robertson and Diesel Crew amongst many others and my world was rocked!

My warmups couldn't have sucked any more if they were made by Dyson. At worst, they didn't prepare me for what I wanted to do, and at worst they were preparing me, but only for an injury and subsequent grumpy Dave!

So, after some research and thinking about how it could be better, a little trial and error, I came up with my current warmup. Now, I'm not gonna say its perfect and I'll probably adapt as I progress, but this is how I start every single workout -

Foam roll - Hamstrings, glutes, ITB, back, lats, chest. Sometimes I use a tennis ball on areas of my back and chest if they are tight, and I swear I'm the only person in my gym who even knows what a foam roller is. Never seen them get used by anyone else. (except my girlfriend cause she is smart too)
Then,
Body weight squats x 10
Squat to stand x 10, then 5 per side of squat to stand with reach,
Spiderman x 5 each side, Start in a press up position, keeping your body straight, step you right foot up to outside your right hand, feeling the stretch in your hips.
Ankle mobility x 10 each side,
Press ups x 10,
Press up plus x 10,
Reach throughs x 5 each side, Start in a quadruped position, take the right hand and reach through between the left leg and arm, shoulder to the floor, feel the stretch in the right lat, posterior shoulder.
 Scapular wall slides x 10
Glute bridge x 10,
X band walk x 10 each way.

I always feel ready to go after this. Sure i get some funny looks, but my mobility is better where it needs to be, and my body is warm and prepared.
I would love to hear anyone else's take on their warmups and thoughts on this topic.

I would also advise checking out Mike Robertson and Eric Cresseys "Magnificent Mobility", Diesel Crews Jimmy Smiths AMPd warmup and Nick Tumminellos Performance U stuff.

As always you can follow me on twitter at twitter.com/b_fast or facebook - dave ballantine

No comments:

Post a Comment