Wednesday 15 December 2010

Just a quick one today...

This post is gonna be a short one. I am aiming to post a couple of times a week, sometimes I might get 3 out, but I should always manage 2! That's the plan anyway!

I saw a Twitter post by Craig Ballantyne (@craigballantyne), a Canadian trainer with lots of good content (turbulence training etc).  He had a quote from Dan Kennedy, "New opportunity is a matter of choice not calendar."  In other words, why wait till New Years Day to make a change for the better? Sometimes its just easier to delay change because there is a fear of failure,  or of it being too difficult and uncomfortable. Ive already made some changes. I will make 3 workouts a week (before, I would sometimes make 1 and be happy to make excuses for not getting in the rest), I try to eat more than the recommended 5 portions of fruit and veg a day. I am trying to be more focused, more positive and get more done each day. I also try to get up early every day to get some study done first thing before work, but that is definitely difficult and uncomfortable for me!

What I've realised more and more is how much my nutrition affects everything else. Now, you may say, "What took you so long to work that out? Moron!" To which I would reply "Screw you guys!"
I'm a little slow sometimes, but I get there eventually!
I really noticed it yesterday. I had loads to do at home, I had to get over to see my folks (my mum broke her wrist falling on the ice. So like the dutiful son that I am, I went over to help out with whatever was needed), I wanted to get some study done, was meeting my girlfriend to go to friends to drop off Xmas pressies, then heading off with a friend to play basketball. However, I spent the day grabbing food on the run, and generally eating crap all day instead of eating smart. The result? Dave was GRUMPY! I only got half (being generous) of what I wanted done, I was lethargic, and I sucked at basketball(normally I'm something like Michael Jordan, just a little shorter, a little slower and not as bald!)
Today on the other hand, I started with a great breakfast of porridge with blueberries, banana and just a little maple syrup, later I had Oaty pancakes( so far so oaty) and another piece of fruit and just picked up a whole bunch of veg and fruit(planning a chicken and avocado salad for lunch. I feel so much better, energy is better, more focused and so far, much more productive. So I am trying to be more prepared and organised with preparing my food ahead of times so I always I have options for taking to work for lunch/ snacks etc. The alternative is I eat poorly and everything suffers!
I an effort to be more accountable to myself, I'm planning to post more on my eating habits, what I eat and some strategies I am using to stick to eating more betterer!
Anyone who reads this (if there is any such persons out there, I would love to hear any tips or obstacles you find to eating well consistently)

Anyway that'll do it for today. I'm off to do some pressie shopping, gonna get a workout in and a few hours study...not to mention planned some awesome eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment