Sunday 13 February 2011

Assessed and corrected...

This Saturday just passed, I was down in London for an assessment on my abilities as a trainer to assess a client. It went well and I passed with flying colours. Yay for me!

The real benefit for me was how much I realised how much I still need to learn about how the body works and how it all links together. Throughout the assessment talk through I made sure to ask what I think were fairly intelligent questions and was able to answer anything asked of me. Throughout the assessment I was asked a load of supplemental questions on the results I was finding and I answered all well and was rewarded with more questions! It was good though, and I've learned so much about the way the assessment results affect the programming for a client and how important the screening and assessing of a client is. 
With this in mind I realise that I'm on the right track with all the reading I'm doing over and above the course notes. The notes, while they give the basics of what needs to be known, are in no way comprehensive.  All the info Ive gleaned from the anatomy books, coaching books and various sites was invaluable on the day.

It also shows just how much more I still need to learn on all aspects of training, nutrition and recovery in order to become the kind of trainer and provide the kind of service I want to be able to offer. So every day I'll continue to read everything that I can to improve my level of knowledge in preparation for my next assessments (coming in March...)

In other news, training is coming along well. I've just completed the 2nd week of Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey. I'm loving it. Feeling good with the way that it is progressing and feeling like I'm starting to key in my technique on all the lifts involved. Early days yet, but I will keep you posted on how the gains are coming along.

Nutritionally, I've been a little lax so I'll be tightening it up again this week. The key is not to deprive myself but limit my cheat meals a bit more and be a little smarter in my choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment